Monday, February 10, 2014

Back to Nepal

I had to leave Nepal early the first time because I only had a small window to interview and
(Source: Wikipedia Jet Airways)
follow some of the people in Bangladesh. I am now heading back to Nepal to finish my work there. I want to follow Gopal at his University (in Pokhara) and my other student Shambu in Kathmandu (where he teaches). Additionally, Shambu has arranged a stakeholders meeting with heads from the different management agencies in Kathmandu to talk about the work he will be doing next to document the number of Ganges river dolphins left in Nepal.

I did not plan this, but I am leaving Bangladesh just in time to avoid the next set of strikes here. I make it to the airport before the 6:00am strike start. Airlines luckily are not affected by the strikes. From Dhaka, I head straight to Kathmandu, Nepal, where the strikes there…..are now over.

I should mention that not only are strikes burdensome, but they can be deadly and are dangerous for the people of these countries. See photo below from the strike that began the morning I left Dhaka.

Burned out bus from the strike in November 2013. Dhaka, Bangladesh (Photo: www.wifb.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment