Friday, February 14, 2014

A day in Pokhara

At the campus
Forestry School in Pokhara, Nepal (Photo: Jlewis, TDRF)
Today I head back to the Forestry School to film and also to give a seminar about this documentary. During the seminar I try to also explain why I am the one doing this project. A scientist, not a professional film maker. My point is that….it is just another tool in our tool belts, like learning statistics to analyze data or GIS (GIS is basically taking maps to analyze things like what areas of a river are most important for a dolphin). Scientists need and must be engaged with the general public and now must be aware of how to do this effectively. In this day and age that means understanding how to use all forms of media, from social networking media (like facebook, blogs, twitter) to film. The seminar goes very well and the deans of the college ask if the TDRF might come back to provide a workshop to train their students how to effectively use media in the ways I described. We would LOVE to!

After the seminar I get the chance to interview multiple students about what they want to do to protect their countries wildlife. Just like in Bangladesh, all are enthusiastic and full of hope and determination.
Young conservation biologists of Nepal (Photo: JLewis, TDRF) 
Off to Dinner
I invited a group of Gopal’s friends to join us for dinner this evening. All are somewhere near the point of graduation and thinking about what will be next for them. I film our dinner and ask them questions to learn what their views are about their future.

During my trip to Pokhara, I was able to get a more in depth perspective about Gopal’s student life. And I have come away even more impressed.  Impressed by him and the other students at this school. They demonstrated to me how similar we are across the planet, when it comes to caring about the environment around us. But what is maybe different here…ok….definitely different here….is that the resources to enact change are sooo much more limited. Yet they are all willing and ready for action. I tell you what….if you ever need a dose of hope for the future….hang out for a few hours with some young conservation biologists. Anywhere.

At dinner with Gopal and students from the Forestry School, Pokhara, Nepal (Photo: JLewis, TDRF)

No comments:

Post a Comment